Okay, most of you don't know this. Well, at least I think I've hid it pretty well. (But I could be kidding myself here....)
I am severely sensitive. I get offended very, very easily. And I am most sensitive about my photography work. The short list (the condensed version of a very long list) also includes being sensitive about my parenting skills, my friendship skills...well, I'll end there. Because this is ending up to be a little pathetic.
Anyhow, my point is this. Lately I've been shaky about my confidence in my photography work. Mostly because I've been at the point where I'd better move forward or forget the whole thing. And let me tell you, I've been at that point for a very long time and yet....I'm still there. Yesterday, I figured out why. (Hello, this is a breakthrough!)
I can only equate it to this. You know that show no one watches? I think it's called American Idol. I heard about it once. Anyway. You know how Simon constantly asks the terrible singers if they've ever sung anything in front of anyone? And they're all like--Yeah, I sing for my family and friends all the time. And then Simon asks--Well, what do they think? And the bad singer is all--They say I'm really great. And all us in TV land are like---Whaaaa?
So I figured out that I'm constantly afraid of being one of those. Where I have this thing that I love to do, but I'm too close to it to be constructively critical (sometimes I'm probably a little too critical), and where maybe the people that I love are trying to be supportive but don't want to be mean, but are really thinking--Oh for the love of Pete, someone else tell her that she's no good!!
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.
Trust me, this is not a waaaah, waaaah moment for me. I'm just thinking aloud and this is what kept me awake last night. Should I invest more time and money into a photography business or should I keep it a photography hobby? That is my question for blogland.
Please leave a comment. The best thing about the Blogspot comments is that you can choose to leave it anonymously. And I don't track the traffic of my site, so I'll never know who you are! Cast your vote: Business or hobby?
Oh, and don't tell my husband I did this. He'd be appalled. I should probably feel a little embarassed for this, but I'm just not thinking about it.
And the title of my post is an ode to my latest love. I just downloaded the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack to my iPod and I've been whisked away to the land of Mr. Darcy and sweet peaceful being. Love it.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
Emily, I hate that you just posted this because I'm sure I'm one who has shaken your confidence with your photography. I'm so sorry I didn't call you to take Avery's photos. Really, the only reason I didn't call is because time got away from me. Before I knew it, your block of time you were in town was over and I never contacted you. I wish I could have had you photograph Avery because I would have cherished the pictures. I was hoping to have you take her picture in her blessing dress - and now I have just cheesy snapshots from my point and shoot. Anyway, thank you for your generous offer. It would have been fun to see you. ps - I'm not just blowing sunshine.:)
Elena--this is SOOOO not directed at you! I was not offended that you didn't call. Don't even worry!!! It was a crazy, busy two weeks and it went by way tooo fast. Next time I'm in the area, we'll get some pics, I promise :)
If you love it - keep up with it. That's my view. If you want it to go bigger, than go bigger. If you want to keep it just a hobby, then do that. I love your work!!! I hear ya though. I may think I'm doing great at something (aka jewelry/photography) but I want someone to be straight up with me. You're not alone ;)
oh and by the way... your previous post pictures are WAY cute!!! All the kids' eyes just pop in those photos!
Whatever you decide, would you still do pictures of my kids?? I think its awesome that you have such TALENT that you can do this for business!! My thought is as long as you are either breaking even and/or making $ than keep doing it!! I think you would be very successful!!
If you're serious about going professional, then get to know your competition. Compare photos. That's my advice. If you see some competitors photos, and can tell they're way above your stuff, maybe you need to take some more classes or invest more into improving your skills first. If you compare them and say, "Well that's no better than photo A I shot" or "That looks only slightly better than my photo B", then I'd say go for it!
I think you are a wonderful photographer--I would still love to have a CD of the pics you took of Sydney last Christmas. My personal opinion about going bigger is just to use caution. If you can extend yourself while your husband is in residency and with two children, do it. Remember though, you can always go bigger with it later. I hope I helped.
Don't worry, we will let you know when Londyn is born. If she's not here by Friday, i will be induced that morning.
Emily,
I think you are a super talented photographer. I love your style and I love how much you love photography. It is always hard to put our selves and our talents out there for others to judge, but you can do it! Follow your heart and do what makes you happy!
Love you lots!
p.s. wish you lived in Kamloops as I need some pictures taken of my little girl!
I think you can do it. Totally. And absolutely. And I so understand this exact post. Since I have thoughts similar to this too. I have been thinking a LOT about if I want a business (a real one) or not too.... Hey, I'd tell you if you were going on national TV and stinking it up! I mean what are friends for! But this is NOT the case. If you want to and have the time, I think you CAN. You totally have the skill.
Oh boy, can we all relate to the feeling of being inadequate - and nothing sucks more than someone else pointing it out! So straight up - I love your photos. And the great part being that out of the five photographers blogs that I check out - you all have totally different styles which is so cool. Its already a hobby for you, something you love, so why not get paid for what you love to do? I only wish I had an ounce of that kind of talent...and someone would pay me for it!!
I think you're too hard on yourself, personally. I mean, we all have times when our shots don't turn out the way you expected or wanted them to, but that's just part of the learning process, right? And you learn to not use those same settings in that kind of an environment or you learn to allow extra time for more shots or something. But if you ask me, as long as you have the time to devote to it and the willingness to keep shooting every day to get better, then you'll keep doing well and keep getting better. Creating and maintaining a business will take a lot of time from you, probably more than you anticipate right now. So just make sure you are willing to make that commitment and then get out there and do it! :) You are talented and you have a good eye. Keep at it, and keep shooting, whatever you decide to do.
your photos are great, but don't make it so you hate it. I love taking pictures it do it for fun for everybody but if I went into business with it I would not enjoy it so much.
Uh, hello. Need I remind you where you came from? One word: Busath. It's in the blood, baby!! You're great. Don't let a little fear stop you from doing what you love and what you're good at! :) Love you!
Emily, I hate to break this to you, but even after I started my photography business, and started having some success, I was still insecure about my work. I think it's part of being the super-sensitive artist. I think you should shoot pictures that YOU like and just try. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. If you like them, it's likely that someone else will too, because you don't have bad taste, right? And you know what good work looks like.
The real problem is that when you put your work out there to be judged, it's like putting a piece of yourself out there to be judged, and that is HARD!
It will never be easy. It's like saying, "Here is my heart and soul...do you like it? Will you pay for it? (please say yes)"
It just comes with the job. But, I think you're great, if that counts for anything.
Hey Emily babe! I was away on vacation and I just got back and read this post. What a great way to get comments!!! (just kidding) Anyways here's my two cents and I hope that it helps. I think that the questions that you should be asking yourself are NOT do you like photograpy and are you good enough at it because the obvious answers to both of those questions are YES and YES!!! I believe that the questions that you should be asking yourself are: Do you love BUSINESS and do you think that you would be able to be competitive enough to make your business successful? Speaking from experience, having your own business does take up a lot of time, money and energy. Those are some things that you may or may not be able to give right now, I don't know. Anyways, from one friend to another I wish you all of the success you desire with your photography. . . and next time you are up here let me know and maybe I can hire you to take some more ADORABLE pics of my kiddies!!!
Post a Comment